Italian firm scores $852m deal to build Qatar World Cup stadium
Italian construction firm Salini Impregilo has scored a €770 million ($852.6 million) contract to build a stadium in Qatar for the 2022 World Cup.
The Al Bayt stadium will be constructed in Al Khor, a city located 50km north of Doha. The contract – of which €716 million ($792 million) will be for construction and the rest for operation and maintenance – covers design and construction of the sports complex.
Salini Impregilo, in a joint venture with Oman-based contractor Galfar and Italy’s Cimolai, beat out competitors from France, Austria, India and Asia to win the contract. The project was awarded by government foundation Aspire Zone, responsible for developing sports infrastructure in Qatar.
The scope of the 200,000sqm project includes construction of a stadium, an auxiliary building for security and administration and a centre for electromechanical and distribution works. Set for delivery in September 2018, the stadium will be able to accommodate 70,000 spectators when complete.
According to a statement by Salini Impregilo, the stadium’s design is inspired by the Bayt Al Sha’ar, the black and white tent traditionally used by nomadic people in Qatar. The design is said to reflect Qatar’s cultural and historical heritage. The project will also use modern construction techniques and environment-friendly materials in a bid to be more sustainable.
When building the complex, particular attention will be paid to providing ideal climatic conditions for players and spectators at the 2022 World Cup, set to be held during the months of November-December as per a March announcement by FIFA.
Written by Jerusha Sequeira 09/07/15
Posted date : 09-07-2015
- Four new Volvo loading shovels for Hills Quarry Products Ltd
- UK Construction Week 2018
- Hitachi introduce the ZW330-6 wheel loader
- Carrots key to stronger concrete
- New CH800i series cone crushers from Sandvik
- Caterpillar introduce new grapples for bulk material handling
- Hillhead is finally behind us and it was a great outing! A Rock-hard turnout!
- McCloskey International and McCloskey Washing Systems showcase new products at Hillhead
- Powerscreen excel at a sunny Hillhead 2018
- Duo announces merger with Denbow and deal with Doosan