Step-by-step guide to Level 2 BIM
Free online guide to compliance now available for firms confused by the recent BIM mandate
LAST month [April 2016] Level 2 Building Information Modelling (BIM) became mandatory on centrally procured public projects, with far-reaching implications for those involved.
Clients, consultants, contractors and suppliers are all required to understand the finer details of the Level 2 process. But the 2016 NBS BIM Survey found that 42% of respondents were just aware of BIM and 28% were not very or not at all confident in BIM.
The new guide, created by Designing Buildings Wiki and PCSG, takes users step by step through the Level 2 workflows, from the basics of storing project information to preparing employer’s information requirements.
The guide, which is ‘open access’ so that anyone in the industry can edit and improve it to reflect their experiences of using BIM in practice, is aligned to Level 2 standard PAS 1192-2 and the 2013 RIBA plan of work.
David Trench, chairman of Designing Buildings Wiki, said: ‘We don’t all have to know how to operate BIM software, but everyone needs to understand the information workflows, collaborative practices and terminology that Level 2 has introduced.
‘We’ve translated the jargon into plain English and explained the processes in a way that will feel familiar, rather than intimidating, to encourage the industry to embrace this change.’
Adrian Burgess, technical director at PCSG, added: ‘It’s all about collaboration. What we have created is a starting point. We’re now calling on the industry to add to and improve the guide and its supporting articles to help create a truly comprehensive resource.’
Posted date : 12-05-2016
- Four new Volvo loading shovels for Hills Quarry Products Ltd
- UK Construction Week 2018
- Hitachi introduce the ZW330-6 wheel loader
- Carrots key to stronger concrete
- New CH800i series cone crushers from Sandvik
- Caterpillar introduce new grapples for bulk material handling
- Hillhead is finally behind us and it was a great outing! A Rock-hard turnout!
- McCloskey International and McCloskey Washing Systems showcase new products at Hillhead
- Powerscreen excel at a sunny Hillhead 2018
- Duo announces merger with Denbow and deal with Doosan