New ‘virtual smart card’ a first for demolition industry
Contractors Erith become first recipient of digital smart card that ensures operatives have correct skills and competence to work on site
IN collaboration with the National Federation of Demolition Contractors (NFDC) and National Demolition Training Group (NDTG), Erith have become the first UK demolition firm to utilize the virtual CCDO (Certificate of Competence for Demolition Operatives) smart card.
The technology gives operatives a digital card stored on their smartphones, which they can use to instantly access their CPD records and qualifications, reducing the need to carry a physical card on site and the possibility of fraud.
John Rawlings, a demolition site worker with Erith, was the recipient of the first card assigned in July this year. It was downloaded and scanned within minutes, for use on site immediately. The virtual CCDO smart card is seen as a key development in the wider construction sector, as the Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) is now working with Reference Point, the creators of this technology, to include a smart card facility for its programme.
Howard Button, chief executive of the NFDC and NDTG, said: ‘We are really pleased to be the first scheme in construction to issue the new virtual CCDO smart cards to our members. We have a very successful working relationship with Reference Point and were keen to be the first to offer the virtual CCDO cards as it offers immediate benefits to both workers and supervisors.’
Graham Wren, chief executive of CSCS, added: ‘It’s great to see the NFDC and NDGT are taking the lead on the adoption of the virtual smart card. The technology will improve safety and efficiency on construction sites by making it easier for the employer to check that workers hold the appropriate qualifications and training for the job they do on site. The technology is something that all card schemes, including CSCS, will be taking a great interest in.’
Posted date : 01-08-2017
- Caterpillar introduce new grapples for bulk material handling
- Hillhead is finally behind us and it was a great outing! A Rock-hard turnout!
- McCloskey International and McCloskey Washing Systems showcase new products at Hillhead
- Powerscreen excel at a sunny Hillhead 2018
- Duo announces merger with Denbow and deal with Doosan
- Record breaking first day at Hillhead
- CONSTRUCTION REBOUNDS AFTER WEATHER FREEZE
- Double delight for Warwick Ward
- Mesto boost mobile crusher production capacity
- Anglo American exits South African coal with sale of New Largo mine