Ireland Needs To Produce More Engineers At A Quicker Rate - Engineers Ireland
Ireland needs to produce more engineers at a quicker rate if the Government's Housing Action plan is to succeed, Engineers Ireland has warned.
The firm also said Ireland could face persistent housing shortages unless the supply of engineers catches up with demand.
While welcoming the general upward trend in demand for engineering-related courses, Engineers Ireland Registrar Damien Owens the economic demand for engineering skills in the area continues to totally outstrip supply.
He said: "To really progress Government projects like the Housing Plan and the Local Infrastructure Fund, Ireland must rapidly increase the rate at which we are producing engineers to make these housing ambitions a reality in the coming years."
The Housing Plan has targeted building 25,000 new homes annually over the next six years and the supply of an additional 47,000 social housing units. He continued: "Rigorously trained and creative engineers are vital to achieving a knowledge-based, sustainable future for Ireland. Government needs to work with industry to incentivise more students to choose engineering as a career and to help them navigate their way through the various training and education routes available such as third-level, apprenticeships and further skills-based training. Furthermore, engineering is a truly global profession that often involves building experience overseas, so the career possibilities are truly endless."
Posted date : 31-08-2016
- Four new Volvo loading shovels for Hills Quarry Products Ltd
- UK Construction Week 2018
- Hitachi introduce the ZW330-6 wheel loader
- Carrots key to stronger concrete
- New CH800i series cone crushers from Sandvik
- Caterpillar introduce new grapples for bulk material handling
- Hillhead is finally behind us and it was a great outing! A Rock-hard turnout!
- McCloskey International and McCloskey Washing Systems showcase new products at Hillhead
- Powerscreen excel at a sunny Hillhead 2018
- Duo announces merger with Denbow and deal with Doosan